Sunday, July 18, 2004

The Mistrials of Justice

With the Jury Deadlocked at 11-1 the Judge declared a mistrial in Kelly Ellard case.

I'm not sure if my American Readers have heard of this case now that the Murder of Reena Virk happened 7 years ago. Ellard is lucky that society has changed into a "What's Happening Right Now" people because an old case gets blurry and facts quite often get tainted with opinion over time. This girl may well have gotten over the fact she viciously murdered another girl (both teenagers at the time) but that doesn't, and shouldn't, change the fact. You do the crime, You do the time.

I'm sure there's many people out there that would say that the story has gotten so much press now it's almost impossible to find a completely unbiased jury. Which I think is a prime example of what happened in this particular trial. I don't know about you but at the time of the murder there wasn't a lot of non-concensus amongst the teenagers who visciously attacked Virk as to who the two people who went after her again and finished the job. It's been my experience, when I was a teenager and from what I've seen of other teenagers, that when the shit hits REALLY hits the fan it's no longer time to pussy foot around and they'll send the lamb to slaughter quicker than you can say "Kelly Ellard".

I know I'm a man and I'll get lambasted for my opinion but women (especially teenaged girls) are the most viscious creatures I have ever encountered when it comes to social interaction. It's pretty much common sense knowledge with men to stay out of any type of disagreement between two women. Add to the the hormonal imbalance of a teenage girl filled with a volcanic rage for whatever reasons and you have the recipe for a dark night underneath a bridge where one teenage girl takes the life of another. The fact that she'll now have to be tried for a third time (and I really do hope that we as taxpayers here in BC take the time to spend the money to convict this danger to society) even though so much time has passed bring a shadow of doubt to my mind that justice will be served for a teenage girl who had her life cut short.

My hope for society wanes on a daily basis.

No comments: